cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Creation of the Cocoon PMC
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:58:32 GMT
gstein@apache.org wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> > Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >> Cool ! But why does this legal speech have be so hard to understand ?
> >
> > Unfortunately, the Apache Software Foundation is a legal corporation,
> > and therefore, for all its official proceedings, we need to use that
> > kind of language...
> >
> > I don't think you'll find any of the ASF members (me included) liking
> > that kind of "formalism", but unfortunately those are official documents
> > of an official corporation, and there's not much you can do (if we wrote
> > it for coders, lawyers then wouldn't be able to read them)...
>
> Yup.
>
> And thankfully, the only people that really need to deal with the stuff
> is the ASF Board. Periodically, it "reaches out", but mostly the project
> committers can simply ignore the stuff.
>
> The real goal is that the ASF exists to deal with these legal issues, and
> free up the coders to do what they do best: create great, free code.

Actually the legalese does make it difficult for committers
in one way. I sometimes need to drag *.java cvs commit email
messages out of the spam bucket. SpamAssassin has put them
in there because of the "lines_of_yelling". Why is it that
these legal documents and *.java headers need to use all
uppercase characters? Is this just a silly trend? Surely the
same text in lowercase would still be legal.
--David