cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "John Morrison" <john.r.morri...@ntlworld.com>
Subject RE: Handing over Cocoon Bean code
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:58:10 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> John Morrison wrote:
> >>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

> [...]
>
> >>I could ask you, then what do you think a cocoon bean would look like?
> >
> > I don't think it's the bean's interface he's questioning, I *believe*
> > he's questioning why the bean should be part of the environment package.
>
> Yup.

Ah, I thought that the "... would look like..." quote ment you thought he
was questioning the interface, not it's package.  sorry.

> But my point is, how can you use the current Cocoon with that
> interface without creating a new environment? I see possible hacks, but
> no nice solution without it.
>
> > *shrug* I'd have thought that the bean would become rather more
> > central with an instance being created by o.a.c.Main.java and
> > o.a.c.servlet.*Servlet.java
>
> Exactly.
>
> o.a.c.Main.java is conceptually part of a CLI environment.

Yep,

> And o.a.c.servlet.*Servlet.java is conceptually part of a servlet
> Environment.

OK...

> Then we would have an Ant environment, a mailet one, and a bean one.
> Each with a different frontend and "wrapper", which is the environment.
>
> I have already separated these on my hd in two different dirs in
>   ./src/environments/cli/**
>   ./src/environments/servlet/**

should these be blocks/modules/whatever_the_current_name_is?

> So that Cocoon core is not dependent on servlets, and we can for example
> run a minimal "embedded" Cocoon without the servlet stuff.

Would be nice.

> Legacy package names confuse IMHO the correct conceptual and actual
> layering of Cocoon.

Don't know an answer to this.  I would like to see the code for
the bean though (read the emails :)

J.