cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Homeijer <>
Subject RE: Blocks confusion - dependency issue
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:09:42 GMT

My guess is that in the future there should be a contract or something for
jsp-blocks/compiled-langauge-blocks or even programming-language blocks and
the jsp-block and jsp-weblogic-block should implement this contract, right?
I think the blocks should be as concrete as possible with the least optional

Would it not fit the transition to Cocoon blocks more if you go with option

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicola Ken Barozzi
To: cocoon-dev
Sent: 1-12-2002 10:12
Subject: Blocks confusion - dependency issue

I've made a jsp block on my hd  and tried to compile it, when I got six
exceptions about class not found. Here's one:

\apache\cocoon\components\jsp\ package
weblogic.servlet.internal does not exist

Eeeeck, this would be a block with a conditional compilation upon a
package I don't have... do I need weblogic to compile it? Because is I
don't compile the class, the block is not complete, and it's not good.

On the other hand, I can make a mock object to compile the classes, but
then I have a block that has an optional dependency, and don't know how
we will make the dependency resolution work with optional stuff.

So IMHO the real options are:
1) use mock objects
2) divide the block in two: jsp-block and jsp-weblogic-block

I prepend for (1), but it still doesn't satisfy me completely...

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: