cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Homeijer <M.Homei...@devote.nl>
Subject RE: Blocks confusion - dependency issue
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:09:42 GMT
Hi,

My guess is that in the future there should be a contract or something for
jsp-blocks/compiled-langauge-blocks or even programming-language blocks and
the jsp-block and jsp-weblogic-block should implement this contract, right?
I think the blocks should be as concrete as possible with the least optional
dependecies.

Would it not fit the transition to Cocoon blocks more if you go with option
2?

HTH,
Michael
-----Original Message-----
From: Nicola Ken Barozzi
To: cocoon-dev
Sent: 1-12-2002 10:12
Subject: Blocks confusion - dependency issue

I've made a jsp block on my hd  and tried to compile it, when I got six
exceptions about class not found. Here's one:

C:\jbprojects\xml-apache\xml-cocoon2\build\cocoon\blocks\jsp\src\org
\apache\cocoon\components\jsp\JSPEngineImplWLS.java:157: package
weblogic.servlet.internal does not exist

Eeeeck, this would be a block with a conditional compilation upon a
package I don't have... do I need weblogic to compile it? Because is I
don't compile the class, the block is not complete, and it's not good.

On the other hand, I can make a mock object to compile the classes, but
then I have a block that has an optional dependency, and don't know how
we will make the dependency resolution work with optional stuff.

So IMHO the real options are:
1) use mock objects
2) divide the block in two: jsp-block and jsp-weblogic-block

I prepend for (1), but it still doesn't satisfy me completely...
heeeelp!

             - verba volant, scripta manent -