cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Foster <jfos...@uwo.ca>
Subject Pipeline Symmetry and XQuery, XSLT2.0. etc.
Date Sun, 29 Dec 2002 01:47:54 GMT
This might not be totally relevant to the current discussion of
pipeline symmetry, but I leave that decision to those more familiar
with the abstractions that I.

I have recently been looking at the specifications for XQuery, XPath
2.0, and XSLT 2.0.  A few things jumped out at me that seem relevant to
Cocoon.  In particular:

- almost every example in XQuery uses the document() function
     - those XQuery examples that don't use document() use input()
     - some XQuery examples work on multiple documents simultaneously
- XSLT will be supporting output to multiple documents from multiple
input documents

The problems that I see arriving soon are:

- caching becomes really problematic (IIRC the situation with
document() )
- Cocoon is seen as "unfairly" restricting which XSLT/XQuery constructs
are allowed (e.g. only a single input/output)

I realize that the Cocoon community is already busy figuring out the
components and goals of version 2.1.  My concern is that to maintain a
reputation as an amazing XML processing system, Cocoon will need to
incorporate things like XQuery and XSLT 2.0 sooner rather than later.
These new technologies will likely impact on pipelines, caching, and
other core aspects of Cocoon.

Is it worth worrying about these issues now, or are they 3.0 material?

Just a thought or two.

Jason Foster

P.S.  The new build system keeps running out of memory on OS/X 10.2.3
with the stock Java environment.  Too much recusion, methinks.