cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2.1] Error in flow samples
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 06:54:17 GMT

On Thursday, Dec 5, 2002, at 02:54 US/Pacific, Ugo Cei wrote:

> Marcus Crafter wrote:
>>> Yes, I still have the problem, even after I made a cvs update and
>>> recompiled everything. I'm using JDK 1.4.1 under Tomcat 4.1.12,
>>> Solaris 8, by the way.
>> 	Ok, this is quite strange then. The userprefs example works for me,
>> 	jdk 1.4.1, Tomcat 3.3.1, Debian GNU/Linux (unstable).
>
> I hoped I could ignore this problem, but it has appeared also in my
> code, so I've tried debugging it and this is what I've come up with.
>
> In jpath.xsl there's the following code:
>
> <xsl:apply-templates
>   select="(//jpath:if | //jpath:when)
>           [generate-id(.) = generate-id(key('JPathExprs', @test)[1])]
>           | (//jpath:for-each | //jpath:value-of)
>           [generate-id(.) = generate-id(key('JPathExprs',
> @select)[1])]"
>   mode="compile"/>
>
> This code is supposed to generate a list of declarations like the
> following:
>
> CompiledExpression jxpath_title = jxpathContext.compile("title");
>
> However if generates them ONLY if the value of the "test" or "select"
> attribute of the jpath:{if,when,for-each,value-of} element is a simple
> string. It ouptuts NOTHING when the value is something more
> complicated like for instance:
>
> <jpath:when test="check and firstName = ''">

The logicsheet makes use of some XSLT standard functions like
translate() to translate the XPath expression into a variable name. It
might be that these functions are either not implemented or are broken.
Perhaps a little standalone test which uses the construct from
jpath.xsl will show what the problem is.

> Since I don't see anything wrong with the logicsheet and since it
> works for you, I suspect it has to do with a bug in the XSLT > processor.
>
> In my setup, I have moved xalan-2.4.1.jar, xercesImpl-2.1.0.jar,
> xsltc.jar and xml-apis.jar from WEB-INF/lib to
> $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed (using Tomcat 4.1.12, JDK 1.4.1_01).
>
> After having fought for a while with XSLT processors for the pipeline
> transformation stage (moving from Xalan to Saxon and back to Xalan
> again), I did not expect to fight another battle just to get XSP to
> work as expected :-(. By the way, which XSLT processor is used for
> transforming XSPs to Java? Is it possible to configure it?

I was using a quite old version of Cocoon on my machine, which worked
fine with Xalan 2.3.1. After I updated from CVS yesterday, I now get
the same problems as you get! Luckily I still have the old source code
tree around, so I can do some more work if needed.

> Next thing I'm doing is try to implement a small test case using just
> a source document and a stylesheet outside of Cocoon, transforming the
> former with different processors. Sigh.

I'll investigate this myself as well. Please let me know if you find
anything.

Best regards,
Ovidiu

--