cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck <>
Subject Profiling Cocoon for cheapskates
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:41:25 GMT
I need to do some code optimization / profiling on Cocoon and some
additional Cocoon libraries we've built.  This raises an issue which I
thought might be of general interest, and hoped might open up some new
avenues of profiling discovery!

If there was an open source based approach to profiling Cocoon code, I
would be happy to write up the process to aid others in the future.

x  Unfortunately...  x

* We're on a budget and can't afford to pay $400+ per seat for a
commercial profiling tool.

* java -Xrunhprof appears to die during final output when given the
significant task of profiling our code in Cocoon in Tomcat in Java,
etc..  It's also fairly slow, but we would live with that if it worked.

x  Fortunately...  x

* We're developing on Mac OS X - but that might not help us in finding
low budget profiling tools! :-)

x  Resources...  x

* A good starting point for profiling resources is Jack Shirazi's Java
Performance Tuning web site:
which has a list of free tools:
My initial attempts (though brief) to get a selection of these running
on Mac OS X has been unsuccessful.

x  Questions...  x

1. Does anyone have any experience of any free profiling tools other
than the built in JDK tools?

2. Is there a way of turning the built in profiling facilities on and
off with code (in order to selectively profile code and avoid
overloading the built in profiling facilities).  This used to be
possible in Java 1.1. <-- little known useless fact!

3. Any other useful Cocoon library profiling suggestions?

            Public Key - 1024D/88DD65AF 2001-11-23 Stuart Roebuck
      Key fingerprint = 89D9 E405 F8B1 9B22 0FA2  F2C1 9E57 5AB1 88DD
Stuart Roebuck
Systems Architect                             Java, XML, MacOS X, XP,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message