cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject CVS Source (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] CVSView, a server-side CVS repository generator.)
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:19:31 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> The reason for this is that I would love to be able to have a running
>> cocoon publish documents *directly* from CVS, that is use CVS as a
>> versioning content repository, which is the step one toward a
>> poor-man (but not so poor on functionality!) CMS.
>

> Writeable and all:
> http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain/archives/000009.html

Thanks for the plug, Steven :-)

Some details on this stuff : it's a Source that implements
WriteableSource, TraversableSource and partially RevisableSource. It is
connected "live" to the CVS server and thus doesn't require a
file-accessible repository (like JRCS does) nor a local checkout.

I needed that for one of our projects : this is a lightweight CMS which
allows users to edit XML documents stored in a CVS repository. An
explorer-like web GUI allows users to checkout the latest version of
documents either as MS-Word or OpenOffice documents (hence the
ZipArchiveSerializer). When users have finished editing a document, they
upload the modified word or OO file to the web application, which then
extracts the content as XML data and creates a new version on the CVS
server.

I studied the various opensource Java CVS clients available, and found
only 3 :
- Netbeans javacvs (http://javacvs.netbeans.org),
- Eclipse CVS plugin,
- JCVS (http://www.jcvs.org)

Netbeans and Eclipse modules require local checkouts and this wasn't
suitable for my needs since users may have different access rights on
the CVS repository. Using a live connection to the CVS server, each user
uses its own credential for authentication and authorization directly on
the CVS server. The Eclipse plugin is also very tied to the Eclipse
environment, and I didn't want to pull too much stuff for just the CVS
access functionality.

JCVS is the only one that is not tied to a local checkout, so this is
what I used. It is composed of a GPL'ed Swing GUI using a LGPL'ed
implementation of the pserver protocol.

It works, but I'm not very happy with it since the pserver
implementation is still conceptually tied to a CVS GUI and required some
hacks to function properly. So I'm considering rewriting a pserver
implementation (it's not very hard) that could be used both for the CVS
Source and for a VFS provider (see http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/vfs).

I will make this CVSSource available after my holidays (needs some
polishing), but it won't be possible to include it in Cocoon's CVS since
it currently relies on some LGPL stuff.

For the explorer-like GUI, I wrote a modified version of the
DirectoryGenerator that relies on TraversableSources rather than files.
It can thus be used with files, cvs repositories, slide repositories,
etc, which has no link on the LGPL'ed stuff.

The end of the year is near (european time), so I wish you all a happy
new year, a lot of happiness personally, professionally and...
cocoonally ;-)

Sylvain