cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Handing over Cocoon Bean code
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:15:19 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> John Morrison wrote:
>
>>> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

> [...]
>
>>> I could ask you, then what do you think a cocoon bean would look like?
>>

>> I don't think it's the bean's interface he's questioning, I *believe*
>> he's questioning why the bean should be part of the environment package.
>

> Yup. But my point is, how can you use the current Cocoon with that
> interface without creating a new environment? I see possible hacks, but
> no nice solution without it.
>
>> *shrug* I'd have thought that the bean would become rather more
>> central with an instance being created by o.a.c.Main.java and
>> o.a.c.servlet.*Servlet.java
>

> Exactly.
>
> o.a.c.Main.java is conceptually part of a CLI environment.
> And o.a.c.servlet.*Servlet.java is conceptually part ot a servlet
> Environment.
>
> Then we would have an Ant environment, a mailet one, and a bean one.
> Each with a different frontend and "wrapper", which is the environment.
>
> I have already separated these on my hd in two different dirs in
>  ./src/environments/cli/**
>  ./src/environments/servlet/**
>
> So that Cocoon core is not dependent on servlets, and we can for example
> run a minimal "embedded" Cocoon without the servlet stuff.
>
> Legacy package names confuse IMHO the correct conceptual and actual
> layering of Cocoon.

I totally resonate with this vision, but my concerns still hold. Please,
bear with me. If we have

  ./src/environments/cli/*
  ./src/environments/servlet/*
  ./src/environments/mailet/*
  ./src/environments/ant/*

this means that these folders contain the 'environments' for the various
  usages of the cocoon core (I like 'core' over bean).

So it stroke me as odd to see 'core' having anything to do with
environments, that's why I asked.