cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HSSFSerializer - Extensions?
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:31:07 GMT
Jody Goldberg wrote:

>We're amenable to extensions to the existing format.  Moreover
>gnumeric is going to be making a jump to a new wrapper format
>shortly at which time I hope to make larger scale changes to
>the xml representation and would appreciate any feedback you have on
>limitations or irritations in the current schema.

I know for me, the biggest irritation is with "style region".  While I
like that in one respect its very
disjointed from Excel and produces a leaky abstraction, but thats not
all, it can cause data loss.

Meaning I might want to group a particular set of cells as one type of
style not particularly related to
location.  I might alter them all later.

My preference would be (this markup is off the top of my head and not
intended to be accurate, just give the picture):

<styles>
</styles>

<styleregions>
  <styleregion startcol....startrow...endrow.... style="1"/>
</styleregions>

<cells>
   <cell row="1", col="2" style="1"></cell>
</cells>

Here we have a defined style which the style region is assinged to.  The
style region is "optional" but serves as a "default" for cells in a
certain region of the sheet.  The cells may also be specifically defined
a style which overrides the style region's style that the cell falls within.

This would allow an efficiency gain with the HSSFSerializer when users
didn't use style regions (as assigning by cell is how excel does it).
I LIKE the style regions for some situations, but hate them for others
(like total rows...its a pain to go up and create a style region, nor is it
particularly efficient).  Furthermore it allows you to assign one style
to multiple regions...

Thats been our #1 gripe for like a year now (but I never said anything
about it so its my fault ;-) )...  Hope that helps...

-Andy