cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Handing over Cocoon Bean code
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:45:11 GMT

John Morrison wrote:
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi []
>>>Why? I don't see a cocoon bean as part of the environment.

>>I could ask you, then what do you think a cocoon bean would look like?
> I don't think it's the bean's interface he's questioning, I *believe*
> he's questioning why the bean should be part of the environment package.

Yup. But my point is, how can you use the current Cocoon with that
interface without creating a new environment? I see possible hacks, but
no nice solution without it.

> *shrug* I'd have thought that the bean would become rather more
> central with an instance being created by and
> o.a.c.servlet.*

Exactly. is conceptually part of a CLI environment.
And o.a.c.servlet.* is conceptually part ot a servlet

Then we would have an Ant environment, a mailet one, and a bean one.
Each with a different frontend and "wrapper", which is the environment.

I have already separated these on my hd in two different dirs in

So that Cocoon core is not dependent on servlets, and we can for example
run a minimal "embedded" Cocoon without the servlet stuff.

Legacy package names confuse IMHO the correct conceptual and actual
layering of Cocoon.

> but I don't have any time (at all :( ) to commit atm.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: