cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Handing over Cocoon Bean code
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 13:45:11 GMT

John Morrison wrote:
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

>>>Why? I don't see a cocoon bean as part of the environment.

[...]

>>I could ask you, then what do you think a cocoon bean would look like?
>
> I don't think it's the bean's interface he's questioning, I *believe*
> he's questioning why the bean should be part of the environment package.

Yup. But my point is, how can you use the current Cocoon with that
interface without creating a new environment? I see possible hacks, but
no nice solution without it.

> *shrug* I'd have thought that the bean would become rather more
> central with an instance being created by o.a.c.Main.java and
> o.a.c.servlet.*Servlet.java

Exactly.

o.a.c.Main.java is conceptually part of a CLI environment.
And o.a.c.servlet.*Servlet.java is conceptually part ot a servlet
Environment.

Then we would have an Ant environment, a mailet one, and a bean one.
Each with a different frontend and "wrapper", which is the environment.

I have already separated these on my hd in two different dirs in
  ./src/environments/cli/**
  ./src/environments/servlet/**

So that Cocoon core is not dependent on servlets, and we can for example
run a minimal "embedded" Cocoon without the servlet stuff.

Legacy package names confuse IMHO the correct conceptual and actual
layering of Cocoon.

> but I don't have any time (at all :( ) to commit atm.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -