cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Article on JSR 170 - Java Repository API
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:30:21 GMT
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> http://www.transformmag.com/db_area/archs/2003/01/tfm0301tp.shtml/collaboration
>>

> Thanks for the hint.
>
> I am not deeply familiar with JSR-170, but I believe something
> "similar" should be extended to the non-Java world.

Well, there is nothing more java-oriented than the JCP.

> Maybe OSCOM could help on this.

I think it would be pretty easy to *port* the API to other languages
once it's finalized.

> Stefano, are you still within JSR-170 expert group?

Officially I resigned, but I am in close contact with the spec lead and
I keep receiving their emails. I'm actually considering getting back
into it and ask for a xindice representative to join me.

> How does it compare to WebDAV, especially the deltaV?

There is a lot of overlap and there is partial communication between
this JSR and the other webdav-related one (147) but WebDAV is a protocol
while this JSR is more an API about a virtual file system with
versioning capabilities.

In fact, they want to use Apache Slide as the reference implementation
of JSR 170 and implementing WebDAV on top of any JSR 170-compliant
repository will be piece of cake. The repository will be totally
content-agnostic, but there will be special facilities for XML (here I
would like XIndice to be used as a Slide store, but SoftwareAG people
(also part of that JSR and driving force behind slide today) might not
be very happy about that!)

Anyway, there is another 6 months to see anything as a public draft so
we still have all the time to say something about it. The expert group
is a very balanced and reasonable group of people, not much politics....
well, less than I would expect in the CMS world, let's say that! :)