cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Input Pipelines (long)
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:51:30 GMT
Michael Homeijer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think your comment is right. It's not the (a)symmetry that's the problem,
> it's the "glue" that connects the input to the output thats missing or
> implicitly available.

Good, I'm glad we reached an agreement here.

> Most of the time when using cocoon I use a solution/workaround of having an
> aggregation of an "input" pipeline (for instance writing a resource in an
> xml database) and the "output" pipeline (showing the new list of resources
> in the xml database). Most of the time the "logic" of the pipeline, ie.
> deciding if anything went wrong, ends up in xsl.
>
> Because of the way map:handle-errors works (ie. you loose context
> information etc.) I don't think it should be used to check application
> logic/exceptions (for instance when a resource allready exists), but only
> system execeptions.

I agree.

It comes to mind that it should be the flowscript layer to handle those
application-level exception out of an executed pipeline... or maybe
not... hmmm, what do you think about this?

> Another way of implementing the input part (and mixing the flow part in it)
> is bij coding actions. This doesn't allways work out right as well. Some
> applications I build with cocoon contain far to many specific actions
> handling input and flow, and actions are not very good at handling xml / sax
> input.

Yep.

> A construction of "pipeline input - flow - pipeline output" should solve
> most of these cases, but I think the real "puzzle" will be how to fit this
> in with the allready existing "pipeline setup"/"pipeline execution stages".

Since you agreed that pipelines aren't necessarely asymmetric, why do
you need to specify 'input pipelines' above?

Wouldn't flow/pipeline and let you assemble them at need suffice?