cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] CVSView, a server-side CVS repository generator.
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:36:36 GMT
Matthieu Sozeau wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 07:49:05PM -0800, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>Matthieu Sozeau wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>
>>>	I've been working on this lately and finally got it reach a
>>>	distributable state and invite (urge!) you to try it. CVSView
>>>	has the same basic functionnalities as the ViewCVS CGI, is generic
>>>	(i.e. it just generates metadata about the repository's contents)
>>>	and even documented! It requires both jakarta-ORO and the JRCS
>>>	package currently in the jakarta commons sandbox.
>>>
>>>	Tried only with 2.0.2 on GNU/Linux.
>>>
>>>	Project page at: http://mattam.ath.cx/progs/CVSView.html
>>
>>Way cool.
>>
>>Some questions:
>>
>>1) is there a way to connect to the last release of a file in 'review'
>>mode like for
>>
>>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-cocoon2/README.txt?rev=HEAD
>>

> Not yet, will add that.

Cool.

BTW, did you look into Eclipse CVS libraries? They are very powerful and
provide a total abstraction of the CVS server (even SSH tunneling)

>>2) does it work remotely? I mean, does it work if the CVS is not hosted
>>on the same machine where Cocoon is running (and no, there is no NFS
>>between them) [since you are using JRCS I would tend to think no, but
>>didn't look into the code so I'd rather ask]
>>
>>The reason for this is that I would love to be able to have a running
>>cocoon publish documents *directly* from CVS, that is use CVS as a
>>versioning content repository, which is the step one toward a poor-man
>>(but not so poor on functionality!) CMS.
>>
>>Will be very interesting for forrest as well.
>>

> Unfortunatelly, no, as that would require parsing the CVS output and be
> quite ineficient. Also, I'm waiting for subversion which has a public C
> interface.

Why? subversion uses webdav which is basically just another HTTP
request. No need to connect to APIs of sort rather than normal
HTTPClient API.

Or I'm missing something?