cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] reconsidering external libraries management
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:14:21 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> I've been using Eclipse for some months and it's now my preferred IDE.
> However, creating a Cocoon project under Eclipse isn't a piece of cake :
> all source files depending on optional libraries fail to compile,
> preventing Eclipse to properly build the project.
>
> So, following Nicola Ken's idea, I wrote mock classes for libraries that
> aren't included in Cocoon's CVS. So far so good, the Cocoon Eclipse
> project now builds smoothly. But this reveals something that I'm not
> comfortable with, even if I have lived with it for years : the Cocoon
> build system does not compile all source files, depending on which
> libraries that are actually present in the classpath.
>
> This has several consequences :
> - some source files are never compiled (how many of you have
> phpservlet.jar in their classpath ?)
> - uncompiled source files aren't included in the binary distribution
> (neither in the jar nor in the javadoc), and are therefore totally
> hidden to average users
> - worst of all : we may release an official version that contains files
> that don't even compile !
>
> So I propose that we _remove all the conditional compilation stuff_ and
> write mock classes where needed to ensure that _all_ source files are
> always compiled.
>
> Note that mock classes don't prevent the use of the real libraries :
> jars in lib/local are placed before the mock classes in the classpath
> and are therefore used, if present, to compile the source code.
>
> I have most of this ready on my hard drive, but since this is a change
> in the way we handle external dependencies, I'd like to have your
> opinion before committing anything.
>
> Thoughts ?

Having used Eclipse myself I know exactly your feeling but didn't have
your patience :)

But IDE aside, I think the concern of shipping code that doesn't even
compile is a good one so here is my +1 for turning *on* compilation for
everything... which will ensure at least more compile-time testing of
our code

(note: these problems will hopefully go away with blocks)