cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: Javadocs: need basic package information
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:25:56 GMT
Bernhard Huber wrote:

> hi,
> i have read the thread
> again.
> i'd like to start it,
> i think writing a single packages.xml is better than maintaing 84
> package.html files.

IMO, a centralized XML file may not be better as far as keeping it up to
date is concerned :
- people may often forget to update a central file far away from the
source files.
- will people really go inside a large XML file containing 89 toplevel
elements to update a single package description ? I think no.

> * add a packages.dtd ala faq.dtd

I don't like neither constraining the content : package.html, as its
name states, accepts any html markup. Javadoc extracts the first
sentence to build the package summary table, but the file can contain a
detailed design description of the package, including tables, images,
etc. Sure, we don't have such detailed package.html now, but
constraining the content will definitely prevent it...

My .02 euro...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message