cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HSSF Serializer Questions
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:07:22 GMT
Danny Mui wrote:

> I'm currently in the process of enhancing the serializer to support
> more features (one pending patch in bugzilla for gnumeric merged
> regions..) and was wondering one thing.  Is there a reason why the
> latest 1.9 dev snapshot is not being used as the target?  There's a
> minor API break (getFormat -> getBuiltinFormat for 1.9) but everything
> seems to work in 1.9 as it did in 1.7.

I haven't gotten around to it.  I was waiting to see what happened with
Morphos but I think that effort is effectively suffering from the
jakarta-commons effect, so the show should go on.  Proceed.

My stepsons are going to their dad's for christmas so I'll have more
time soon.  There should be relatively low latency on patches, but you
might want to put me in the cc: because then they get sorted in my "to
me" box...

> Another question,  when gnumeric generates a lot of styles to
> interpret the fonts/styles, a fontrecord is added for each and every
> style/font. Excel '97 Complains it is out of memory with a filesize of
> 133kb,  so i tried to reuse FontRecords when appropriate.
> Steps:

Yes.

> 1. Created a duplicate object called Font that is really just HSSFFont
> with a public constructor
> 2. Created a toString representation of the font record so it can be
> added to a hashmap (basically concatenates all the properties)
> 3. Added another method to the serializer representation of the
> workbook (createFont(Font)) so that fonts aren't created all the time
> and reused.
>
> Does this method look correct (algorithm/approach wise)?  I'd like to
> do this for styles as well since this approach cut the filesize down
> to 103kb.

Well you kinda want the fonts to match to the style regions in theory.
 But it sounds right.

-Andy