cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Mui <da...@muibros.com>
Subject HSSF Serializer Questions
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:05:51 GMT

I'm currently in the process of enhancing the serializer to support more
features (one pending patch in bugzilla for gnumeric merged regions..)
and was wondering one thing.  Is there a reason why the latest 1.9 dev
snapshot is not being used as the target?  There's a minor API break
(getFormat -> getBuiltinFormat for 1.9) but everything seems to work in
1.9 as it did in 1.7.

Another question,  when gnumeric generates a lot of styles to interpret
the fonts/styles, a fontrecord is added for each and every style/font.
 Excel '97 Complains it is out of memory with a filesize of 133kb,  so i
tried to reuse FontRecords when appropriate.

Steps:

1. Created a duplicate object called Font that is really just HSSFFont
with a public constructor
2. Created a toString representation of the font record so it can be
added to a hashmap (basically concatenates all the properties)
3. Added another method to the serializer representation of the workbook
(createFont(Font)) so that fonts aren't created all the time and reused.

Does this method look correct (algorithm/approach wise)?  I'd like to do
this for styles as well since this approach cut the filesize down to 103kb.

Thanks!

danny