cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject Re: SAP Components / Licence
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:46:08 GMT
<snip/>

> > If we announce SAP support for Cocoon I bet people will be using it.
> > Using brings complains, bugfixes and finally maintainance. IMHO this
> > is no big problem.
>

> If I cannot test it myself, I would be very suspicious of having it in
> our repository.
>
> > If people really don't use it - it's just another component in our CVS.
> > ...like maybe others that are rarely used;)
>

> Which is also a problem IMHO. Making them into "blocks" helps in not
> making Cocoon tied to non-healthy components.

not used (which could also be "used - but no given feedback since it
works") doesn't necessarily mean non-healthy, don't you think?

> > So I don't really see anything besides the licence issue.
> >
> > Altough it is the question whether it's worth the risk getting into
> > trouble because of a non-Apache licence for code that *maybe* isn't
> > even used by many people...
> >
> > But I think: either the licence is
> > a) ok -> let's include it
> > b) not ok -> ask the author to modify the licence or host it somewhere
> > else
>

> The code has to have a license grant for Apache. We are talking about an
> important *donation* in *code*, not a jar we use.

Sorry for not being precise - I was aware of that...
...though I am not quite sure what I actually really means.

Will donated files always have a Apache licence header plus the comment
of the donation. Or is it also possible to have different licence header?

> I think that this SAP feature is *very* *very* important, but I'm
> concerned over how we would maintain it. I would like to know it there's
> a way in which we can actually have that code tested.

Well, I do have the necessary jar to compile it but I cannot really test
in real life. But I am pretty sure we sooner or later gonna have a
committer that will have a testing environment... until that we can mark
it as unstable block and wait for user feedback.
--
Torsten