cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SAP Components / Licence
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:07:52 GMT

Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>

>> >IANAL, but AFAIK the code has to be formally donated to the ASF, and
>> >things like the one at the end have to be decided by the ASF.
>>

>> Correct. Though another issue your PMC may want to see answered is - how
>> is this community going to maintain it; are there enough active SAP
>> experts to see to it that this piece of code is going to be alive and
>> healty for years to come. Even if some of the original people drop out ?
>>
>> This is a rather specific piece of code wiht a lot of infrastructure
>> around it.
>

> If we announce SAP support for Cocoon I bet people will be using it.
> Using brings complains, bugfixes and finally maintainance. IMHO this is
> no big problem.

If I cannot test it myself, I would be very suspicious of having it in
our repository.

> If people really don't use it - it's just another component in our CVS.
> ...like maybe others that are rarely used;)

Which is also a problem IMHO. Making them into "blocks" helps in not
making Cocoon tied to non-healthy components.

> So I don't really see anything besides the licence issue.
>
> Altough it is the question whether it's worth the risk getting into
> trouble because of a non-Apache licence for code that *maybe* isn't even
> used by many people...
>
> But I think: either the licence is
> a) ok -> let's include it
> b) not ok -> ask the author to modify the licence or host it somewhere else

The code has to have a license grant for Apache. We are talking about an
important *donation* in *code*, not a jar we use.

I think that this SAP feature is *very* *very* important, but I'm
concerned over how we would maintain it. I would like to know it there's
a way in which we can actually have that code tested.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -