cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <>
Subject Re: SAP Components / Licence
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:49:22 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >IANAL, but AFAIK the code has to be formally donated to the ASF, and
> >things like the one at the end have to be decided by the ASF.
> Correct. Though another issue your PMC may want to see answered is - how
> is this community going to maintain it; are there enough active SAP
> experts to see to it that this piece of code is going to be alive and
> healty for years to come. Even if some of the original people drop out ?
> This is a rather specific piece of code wiht a lot of infrastructure
> around it.

If we announce SAP support for Cocoon I bet people will be using it.
Using brings complains, bugfixes and finally maintainance. IMHO this is
no big problem.

If people really don't use it - it's just another component in our CVS. maybe others that are rarely used;)

So I don't really see anything besides the licence issue.

Altough it is the question whether it's worth the risk getting into
trouble because of a non-Apache licence for code that *maybe* isn't even
used by many people...

But I think: either the licence is
a) ok -> let's include it
b) not ok -> ask the author to modify the licence or host it somewhere else

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message