cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Proposal] A little reworking of the Cocoon Command Line
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 05:36:54 GMT
Vadim said:
> >I would suggest:
> >cocoon.processTargets();
>
> Or just process()

Fair enough.

> >to process multiple targets, including recursion, and:
> >cocoon.processPage(URI, outputStream);
>
> Or processURI or processRequest (it is not necessary page - it can be
> image or other resource).

Fair enough.

> Better yet something like: setEnvironment(new FTPDestination(...)).
> This way, CocoonBean does not depend on FTP, and File or RDBMS
> destinations could be implemented independently of Bean itself.

Sounds fair enough. Although, as an outsider, the Environment interface strikes me as a
bit complicated, and not something I'd like a user to need to understand (e.g. what is a
context, how do I split a URL into its constituent parts (can't the constructor do that for

me?), etc).

> I recommend to abstract destination from the Bean itself.

It appears that you recommend abstracting the destination from the Bean into the
Environment object. However, from what I can see, in the case of saving a file, it is
Main.java, that actually handles saving the file to disc, rather than the
FileSavingEnvironment object. How would you abstract out the destination from the
bean?

> In any case, if/when you get your Bean working, it can be added to the
> scratchpad and then it could be improved with the help and feedback of
> community.

When I'm ready, I'll find out how to do that.

Regards, Upayavira