cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: OT: Announcement: Cocoon Stammtisch @ Frankfurt
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:47:27 GMT

Marcus Crafter wrote:
> Hi All,
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>Would be great if you posted pictures of the event with some notes of
>>the discussions that took place.
>>I know I'm a pain in the ass, but you know, I think it would be fair for
>>those (me!) who, for a reason or another, can never make it to Frankfurt :)
> 	Sure :) I didn't take any photos but Michael Hartle organised a
> 	camera, as had others, so once they're ready I'm sure're they'll be
> 	made available somewhere.
> 	We had approx. 20 people attend this time which was great (last
> 	Frankfurt Stammtisch was 6), in the Dominicus Keller which is a
> 	German style restaurant (lots of meat!).
> 	From the 20 we had (at a rough count) 8 committers of various Apache
> 	projects. The others ranged from long time Cocoon users to people
> 	completely new to the project. People were from many different
> 	countries such as England, Italy, Australia, and of course Germany,
> 	to name a few.
> 	There was so much discussion and many different topics I think it was
> 	hard to keep up with it all :) Topics included:
> 	o Flowscript

Someone, please expand here :-)

> 	o Blocks

Step by step... as we are moving things into separated jars (I know the
build sucks, but till we don't move all we're stuck with a double build
system) we can start doing the next steps:

  - making these jars addable to Cocoon at runtime
  - adding support for referencing the resources of these blocks (block
protocol stuff)

All Cocoon components _except the default ones_ , that do not depend on
extra jars (ie only jdk) will go in a single block (one for generators,
one transformers, etc).

> 	o Cocoon projects in Europe
> 	o Cocoon & development environments

  - on the trip back, Gianugo and I made a sketch of the implementation
of an advanced Cocoon debugger in an IDE... stay tuned!

> 	o Avalon
> 	o Apache project structure
> 	o Cocoon build environment

Working on it, don't worry ;-)
One thing is the copying of files which is a PITA. We ahould just copy
the stuff that needs filtering (ie 1.3-1.4 stuff)

> 	o Cocoon 2.1 release
> 	o Documentation
> 	o Gent GetTogether
> 	o Plus many others
> 	After dinner some of us ventured off to the Sandbar for some late
> 	night cocktails - which powered the discussions till closing at
> 	2am! :)
> 	I think we all had a really great time, and it was great to meet
> 	people face to face again.
> 	There was also talk of the next Stammtisch, and even a 'Cocoon World
> 	Tour' which sounded exciting! :)

We will remember to make it near a RyanAir airport, that airline really
does discounts! (9 euros go+22 euros back!)

> 	Anyone else like to add anything ?

Started dumping some ideas that sparkled there

Oh, and you forgot the "modules" name debate :-P

On the plane, I came to this conlusion, to use "environments" and
"features" instead of "modules".

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: