cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Implementing XMLForm with Flow
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 20:11:22 GMT
Hi Ivelin,

Ivelin Ivanov wrote:

>I have nothing new to add, but would like to balance the discussion
>with a reminder:

<snip>

>>Which shows exactly why continuations provide such a simple way of
>>programming complex applications!
>>

>Until now, it has shown to me a simple way to program simple applications.

Well, actually I think the more complex the control flow the more the
flow layer will really shine. Consider the login example, where you
could need to login at any point during the application. With the flow
layer you simply write a function login(), and call it from any place
during your application. After completion of the login sequence, you are
automatically returned to the calling page. Something like this
(although still a simple example) is extremely difficult to implement
with state-machine code. Other complex control flow constructs
(conditional branching,  loops, etc) are straightforward with the flow
layer but virtually impossible to comprehend with state-machine like code.

Regards,

Chris