cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Oliver <res1c...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Implementing XMLForm with Flow
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 19:19:47 GMT
Uh, how useful is it to insist that something be fully implemented to
prove a point in a discussion on a mailing list? The purpose of my
example was to show that the flow layer allows you to avoid the
state-machine code required in XMLForm actions (which is what you
questioned in your original message), not to implement all of the
details of your example. If your only objection (now) is that you don't
think it can be implemented then I believe Ugo has already offered to
demonstrate that that is not the case.
In any case, I don't think our perspectives are really that different.
You are afraid of JavaScript spagetti code. That is a legitimate concern
in my opinion as well. However, spagetti code can occur in any language
(including Java), so that should also be a concern in XMLForm actions.
You are concerned about the overhead of continuations. That is also a
concern to me (and to Ovidiu and he has been profiling the flow layer to
track this).
I'm also a little surprised you don't seem to want a flow layer based
interface to XMLForm. Personally, I think it could enhance the usability
and value of that component (by replacing the action handling code -
with the flow layer - but retaining the rest of its current functionality).

Regards,
Chris