cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Why waste?
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 19:13:40 GMT
Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
> Apparently we have different perspectives on this matter,
> but that is good.

Yes, this is good totally

[snipped 13Kb of text, that multiplied by 600 were 7Mb, multiplied by an
average of 1000 messages a month would become an impressive 30 Gb of
wasted bits per year!!!]

What is *not* good is how much apache bandwidth you wasted by saying so
without removing 13Kb of useless text because that saved you a couple of
seconds of email editing.

I would like to remind you *all* that there is somebody behind the
scenes *paying* for all the bandwidth we use here.

It will be considered *very* polite if you all of us can make an effort
to avoid wasting bandwidth as much as we can.

Our first step was creating a light skin for cocoon
Our second step was creating forrest
Be friendly to mirroring is our third step.

But those were actions as a project.

Now, what each one of you can do is to trim your messages just to the
content you think it's important to quote. I know it's *easier* and
*faster* not to care. But please, consider that your posts will also
have a higher signal/noise ratio and will be much easier to search for
them in archives

also, if you can, remember to use proper quotations of who said what,
think that in 20 years from now, your posts can be part of the history
of computing and bandwidth ecology will for sure be a 'social trend'.

Do you really want to look like a waster for centuries? :)

Think about it. [ivelin, this is not only at you, I just happened to see
your post when I was thinking about it, please, don't take this
personally because I'm just using your post as an example, we all should
pay more attention]