cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: XEOS : a commercially packaged Cocoon
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 17:08:55 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> A colleague of mine pointed me to XEOS at
> http://www.heletel.com/products/xeos/index.html
>
> This is a copy of Cocoon 2 (seems to be the 2.0.0 release) which has
> been totally repackaged ("org.apache.cocoon" changed to
> "com.heletel.xeos"). Strangely, though, the sitemap and XSP namespaces
> have been kept as is.
>
> I couldn't find any mention of Cocoon in the docs or accompanying
> files, although the Apache license in its Tomacat incarnation since
> they also embed Tomcat.
>
> Do some of you know about this product ? Is it legal for them not to
> mention Cocoon ?

I bet it's legal. They need to mention only ASF:

 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any,
must
    include  the following  acknowledgment:  "This product includes
software
    developed  by the  Apache Software Foundation
(http://www.apache.org/)."
    Alternately, this  acknowledgment may  appear in the software
itself,  if
    and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.

Moreover, to play on a safe side, they should not mention Cocoon:

 4. The names "Apache Cocoon" and  "Apache Software Foundation" must
not  be
    used to  endorse or promote  products derived from  this software
without
    prior written permission. For written permission, please contact
    apache@apache.org.

 5. Products  derived from this software may not  be called "Apache",
nor may
    "Apache" appear  in their name,  without prior written permission
of the
    Apache Software Foundation.

PS Bea done same to Xerces and Xerces - see weblogic.apache.* packages.

Vadim