cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Changes made to flow system.js
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 08:29:23 GMT
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> On Wednesday, Dec 4, 2002, at 13:11 US/Pacific, Jason Foster wrote:
>
>> <snip/>
>>
>> How about thinking in terms of synchronous and asynchronous I/O?
>>
>> sendPageAndBlock() or sendPageSync()
>> sendPageAsync()
>

> On Wednesday, Dec 4, 2002, at 14:33 US/Pacific, Andy Lewis wrote:
>

>> what about I/O terms?
>>
>> sendPageBlocking
>> sendPageNonBlocking
>>
>> or something akin to these?
>

> I think the danger is to have the semantics of these functions
> associated with the way the response page is actually sent over the wire.
>
> To reiterate my option, I think sendPageAndWait and
> sendPageAndContinue are still the best options. They also provide the
> maximum compatibility with the old naming, only sendPage dissapears,
> everything else is the same.

Agree. I think the confusion of "sendPageAndContinue" with continuations
came from the fact that the "sendPage" counterpart wasn't semantically
precise enough.

Most people seem to agree that "sendPageAndWait" is a good name. My
english skills tell me that "continue" is a good word as a complementary
to "wait". And since my skills are somewhat limited, it's likely that it
most people will have the same understanding as me :)

So, IMO, "sendPageAndWait" and "sendPageAndContinue", are good names,
being equally-precise and semantically complementary.

Sylvain