cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] make Cocoon modules alongside blocks (was Re: [RT] A deprecated module )
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:27:55 GMT

tcurdt@dff.st wrote:
> Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:
>

>>Now I'm a bit lost on the results of the RT deprecated thread 8-) so I'm
>>making this into a proposal.
>>
>>_Proposal_
>>
>>This proposal is to create a source section parallel to blocks, to hold
>>Cocoon "parts", or "modules", that are not part of the Cocoon minimal
>>core but need nevertheless to be included in the classpath and config
>>files at startup.
>>
>>They would look identical to the current "blocks", ie jars. The
>>difference is that they will never be hot-pluggable as Cocoon
>>Components, and are not part of the Block concept.
>>Thus, when proper .cob blocks will arrive, the /blocks will migrate to
>>that packaging format, while these "modules" will not.
>>
>>Possible candidates to be repackaged as modules:
>>  1 - deprecated classes that are not Cocoon Components
>>  2 - Environment implememtations
>>  3 - "frontends" like CocoonServlet.java and Main.java
>>  4 - samples
>>  5 - module implementations
>>  6 - profiler
>

> Hm... this could really make it hard to have an overview of the codebase.

Actually, the motive is exactly that of having a cleaner codebase...

> Consider you are looking for a specific class... It might be in module A
> java/org/apache/cocoon/... or in module B java/org/...
> For some classes it *might* not be obvious in which module to find them...

It should be. Look at the other side: how many know what is core in
Cocoon and what isn't? JSP block showed that it's *totally* non-core,
but it was not configured as such, it was in the base xconf.

> BTW: I bet people will getting cross-eyed having to deal with modules as well
> as with blocks. ("What's the difference?" gonna be a candidate for the FAQ)

Probably till we have cobs it could be so.

> ...so I am currently -0.25 :-/

             - verba volant, scripta manent -