cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Duffin <pduf...@volantis.com>
Subject Re: cvs sticky tag problem
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:10:51 GMT
Christian Haul wrote:
> On 03.Dec.2002 -- 11:34 PM, Diana Shannon wrote:
>
>>I was trying to sync HEAD and release versions of
>>  src/documentation/xdocs/userdocs/actions/database-actions.xml
>>
>>but when I try to commit the updated version to the release branch, I
>>get:
>>  cvs server: sticky tag `cocoon_2_0_3_branch' for file
>>`database-actions.xml' is not a branch
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>

> So this is not only me being bugged by this :-/ Well, OK. As you may have
> seen, I have removed and added the file back again to
> cocoon_2_0_3_branch It did not go smoothly, however. In the end I have
> edited the CVS/Tag file in my local checkout and changed the "N" to a
> "T". Now, it appears to have solved this problem. At least the commit
> mail looks fine.
>
> 	Chris.

The problem almost certainly occurred because you did a cvs update and
specified a particular version of the file.
e.g.
   cvs update -r 1.2 file.xml

Attempting to commit changes to that file will fail because as far as
CVS is concerned you are trying to change version 1.2 of the file
because the file has a sticky tag of 1.2.

Use 'cvs status file.xml' to see the sticky tag which usually refers to
a branch but in this case refers to a particular version.

If you want to revert back to an older version of a file use.
   cvs update -r 1.2 -p file.xml > file.xml

The -p sends the output to standard out 'avoiding stickiness'.