cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A deprecated module
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 11:03:05 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it just came across my mind to create a "deprecated" block/module
> which contains all deprecated classes and interfaces. This would
> clean our core but we would still have compatibility when the
> block is used.
>
> Does this make sense? What do you think?

I think that the idea is excellent, but I wouldn't make it a block.
Blocks will be pluggable components, ut what you envision may need the
classes at startup.

I would propose that we mimic the blocks build system for a section that
contains Cocoon "parts" that can be used on startup, but can be taken
out of the core.

I sent a mail some time ago about this, to create "modules" alongside
blocks, but then I married, didn't follow it, and didn't even see if it
had arrived ;-)

In this way the core can be smaller still, and we can keep additional
functionality that is not part of the blocks concept separate. This
could also help in making Cocoon profiles for smaller devices or such.

We would still have to decide the name though, is "modules" ok? Dunno.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -