cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerström <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Implementing XMLForm with Flow
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 10:12:33 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Premise #1: XMLForm has great support for XForms and validation, but
> it uses butt-ugly actions for implementing the Control part of MVC.
>
> Premise #2: Control Flow rocks as an MVC (or MVC+) controller.
>
> Conclusion: let's reimplement XMLForm using Flow as the controller and
> get rid of those actions.
>
> Plan of action: familiarize myself with both frameworks (I just
> started using flow) and their internals, then start designing and
> coding. I have a couple weeks' vacation starting Jan 1st and it would
> be nice to have some nice OS project to work on ;-).
>
> Ivelin, Ovidiu (and everybody else), what do you think?
>
>     Ugo

We had a discussion about half a year ago about how to integrate XMLForm
and Flow [1], I proposed a design and booth Ovidiu and Ivelin seemed to
approve it. I also spent some time implementing the XMLForm wizard
example in the propsed way, and had a working implementation for a short
while. Due to non intuitive caching behaviour I succeed in breaking my
implementation without noticing it and never got it to work again :(,
(debuging flow scripts was a nightmare back then). It would be
interesting to give it a new trial, hopefully the framework is alitle
bit more mature now. I could also send my broken implementation to the
list if anybody is interested.

Ovidiu proposed a small extension [2] of flow script that will simplify
back button handling in forms significally.

Daniel Fagerstrom

[1] Flow and XMLForm
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=102014568700005&r=1&w=2, see especially
the first half of the thread.