cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [SHOWSTOPPER?] cocoon sources no longer thread-safe
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 08:16:36 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>there were some problems with multi-threading and the environment
>stack which should be fixed by last monday - at least that's
>what I thought.
>However, there is one subtle thing to keep in mind:
>ThreadLocal and InheritableThreadLocal variables!
>The current environment stack uses a InheritableThreadLocal
>variable - so you have to make sure that if you
>create/use a different thread that this InheritableThreadLocal
>variable is initialized correctly.
>Especially when you use thread-pools you have to
>manually set this variable (contained in the
>CocoonComponentManager) whenever you take a thread
>out of the pool and use it.
>Is it possible, that your problems are related to this?

If the problem is related to some (Interited)ThreadLocals which haven't
the proper value, what about providing a ThreadPool component in Cocoon
that cleanly manages these values, so that applications requiring thread
do not have to wonder about it ?

I'm honored you ping me, but why me in particular (just curious) ?

>I know this is difficult to test without a sample.  My hope is that the
>problem is significant enough to you committers to warrant fixing now.  I
>would be happy to put together a test case and example for you to debug on
>your own system.
>Also, I would love to donate the AsynchronousCIncludeTransformer.  It's
>slightly over-componentized at the moment, but I'll send it to anyone

Ah, yes, please, please ! I'm very interested in this since I need
parallel aggregation for a projet I'm currently working on.

And since you kindly propose to donate it, I can also help the migration
to Cocoon's CVS.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message