cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <rho...@isisnetworks.net>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:33:24 GMT
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>> What I like most about such a proposal is that it is completely up to
>> the commiters to decide whether they want opt in or opt out.
>>
>> What do others think?
>
> It continues to sound reasonable to me, but I'd personally like to see
> the Jakarta "brand" continue.  Not sure how to *do* that...  I don't
> think the same applies to XML.    Note that I asked like the tapestry
> guys "want to be top level" and it was "well no one will
> find us there, we want Jakarta"...   They're probably right quite
> honestly.  Half the people I know barely know there is an
> XML.apache.org...
>
> -Andy

Not to pollute the discussion too much, but I just recently became a
part of one xml.apache.org project, and have been a member of the Apache
community only about 6 months.  Before I got involved, though, I was
using both Jakarta and xml.apache.org software for quite a while.  To me
the xml.apache.org brand was always a "subsidiary brand" of ASF, as was
Jakarta.  It carries enough weight that I have looked here first when I
need a piece of software for a project, and will try an Apache project
out before a random Sourceforge one every time.

$0.02
--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks