cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Blocks confusion - dependency issue
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:25:03 GMT

Michael Homeijer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My guess is that in the future there should be a contract or something for
> jsp-blocks/compiled-langauge-blocks or even programming-language blocks and
> the jsp-block and jsp-weblogic-block should implement this contract, right?
> I think the blocks should be as concrete as possible with the least optional
> dependecies.
>
> Would it not fit the transition to Cocoon blocks more if you go with option
> 2?

Hmmm... the use of mock objects in fact doesn't preclude the division of
the block in two, because it is still needed to compile the
jsp-weblogic-block (quick answer to Sylvain: yes, I agree, mock objects
are to be used, but maybe we can also atomicize dependencies?).

So the question is in fact about having blocks with optional dependencies or
divide them till these blocks are atomic in dependency.

Even as a naming rule we can do:

   blockname-block
   blockspecificimplname-blockname-block

So we have

   jsp-block
   weblogic-jsp-block

But...

Imagine I'm using weblogic, I just want jsp behaviour, so I ask for the
jsp block. Instead, with the partitioning of the blocks, I would have to
ask for the weblogic-jsp-block.

Now, this is a problem, because when I change server, I have to change
all definitions of it, which really sucks. This is because the
weblogic-jsp-block is just an implementation of the *same* thing, not
something new.

It seems that if we are talking about a block the implementation of
which depends on jars we don't have, we should keep those classes in the
block by using mock objects in compilation.

So, after all, I'm still on option 1.

Other opinions?

> HTH,
> Michael