cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Blocks confusion - dependency issue
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 22:05:57 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I've made a jsp block on my hd  and tried to compile it, when I got
> six exceptions about class not found. Here's one:
>
> C:\jbprojects\xml-apache\xml-cocoon2\build\cocoon\blocks\jsp\src\org
> \apache\cocoon\components\jsp\JSPEngineImplWLS.java:157: package
> weblogic.servlet.internal does not exist
>
> Eeeeck, this would be a block with a conditional compilation upon a
> package I don't have... do I need weblogic to compile it? Because is I
> don't compile the class, the block is not complete, and it's not good.
>
> On the other hand, I can make a mock object to compile the classes,
> but then I have a block that has an optional dependency, and don't
> know how we will make the dependency resolution work with optional stuff.
>
> So IMHO the real options are:
> 1) use mock objects
> 2) divide the block in two: jsp-block and jsp-weblogic-block
>
> I prepend for (1), but it still doesn't satisfy me completely... heeeelp!

+1 for mock objects.

I was recently thinking about this particular problem of dependencies on
libraries that we cannot put in Cocoon's CVS : this is a major problem,
as we have a lot of source files that are never compiled if we don't
place the required non-redistributable libraries in lib/local.

This means that we may release a version where some source files don't
even compile !!

So mock objects seems to be a good solution, provided that the
compilation classpath puts libraries in lib/local _before_ the mock
classes, so that real classes are used when they're present.

Thoughts ?

Sylvain