cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Flow wishlist :)
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 19:56:40 GMT

On Monday, Dec 2, 2002, at 19:15 Europe/London, Conal Tuohy wrote:

> Hi Peter

>> thought it
>> also remarked
>>> that this sounded somewhat like a capability that was in C1.)
>>>

> Stefano(?) wrote:
>>> yeah, you could implement what you want using dynamically added PI
>>> (processing instructions) for the C1 reactor, but it would
>> end up being
>>> very messy anyway.
>>
>> When it was described to me it didn't really sound like what
>> I wanted...
>
> I think Stefano is on the right track with this dynamic PI pattern ...
> but
> since I never used C1 I've only got a theoretical notion of the C1
> "reactor". But I've used a similar pattern in C2, I think. You can use
> pipeline (or a small number of pipelines) containing an XSLT
> transformer
> followed by an include transformer. The XSLT transform can make your
> decision, and insert elements like this:
> <xi:include
> href="cocoon://{$result-of-some-complex-functional-logic}"/>
> Then the include transformer resolves the url and recursively calls the
> sitemap. The URL could resolve to a database query result, or an error
> 500
> page. This gives you quite a functional "style" where you need it. One
> issue
> I'm aware of here is the "cacheability" of the include transformer,
> but this
> may not be an issue which your search results anyway.

I had to stop working like this, when I found it made my site 10 times
slower, though Vadim kindly pointed out to me that this was because not
all of the caching code in Cocoon 2.1-dev is complete.

Hopefully when it is, we can take advantage of this way of working
..... it is very powerful!

regards Jeremy