cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jody Goldberg <j...@gnome.org>
Subject Re: HSSFSerializer - Extensions?
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:14:48 GMT
We're amenable to extensions to the existing format.  Moreover
gnumeric is going to be making a jump to a new wrapper format
shortly at which time I hope to make larger scale changes to
the xml representation and would appreciate any feedback you have on
limitations or irritations in the current schema.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 02:39:05PM -0500, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> My thought would be to make the changes acceptable but not required and
> notify the gnumeric folks
> (http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnumeric-list) about the
> extensions.  They might be interested in
> implementing them.  For the actually SCHEMA, create a different schema
> based on the original and mark
> files which use the extensions as being compliant to that schema and not
> the one hosted at/by gnumeric...
>
> -Andy
>
> Danny Mui wrote:
>

> >There are some features that HSSF supports that gnumeric does not, one
> >instance is setting fonts for the header/footer (among others).  This
I'd be interested in a list of the others.  Adding this would be
simple and would give me some insight into what sorts of features
real users are looking for.

> >is currently a need for my project I'm working on and I'm wondering
> >how I should go about implementing this.
> >
> >Should I extend the schema to accomodate these new features?
> >
> >I extended the schema to support a few things so far:
> >1) Added an 'inches' unit designation to pass-through the values for
> >margins since the 'in' unit requires conversion.
Requires conversion by what ?

> >2) Added a &[FILE] attribute for the header/footer since excel
> >supports it but my version of gnumeric does not.
I just added it in about 10 seconds.  The extension will be in
1.1.15, and is trivial enough that I could back port it to be in the
next stable release 1.0.12.