cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changes made to flow system.js
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 04:18:07 GMT

On Friday, Dec 6, 2002, at 02:09 US/Pacific, Michael Melhem wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:45:38PM -0800, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, Dec 5, 2002, at 02:13 US/Pacific, Michael Melhem wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmmm..  we could end up disussing semantics forever,
>>> but how about "sendPageAndFinish" ? Thats the only alternative i can
>>> think of
>>> at the moment. So one would have:
>>>
>>> 	flow()
>>> 	{
>>> 	  sendPageAndWait
>>> 	   ..
>>> 	  sendPageAndWait
>>> 	   ..
>>> 	  sendPageAndFinish
>>> 	}
>>
>> "Finish" what? The problem with that is that you could still do things
>> after the page was sent back to the client. Advanced users might want
>> to use this fact to do all sorts of nasty things.
>
> Interesting, didnt think of that. So does this mean you can send
> multiple pages back to the client without client intereaction.. ?

Yes, this makes perfect sense when dealing with some asynchronous Web
services. Some of the protocols out there require the server to send a
quick response saying "I've received your request, I'll process it and
send you the response". The actual response comes as an asynchronous
request back to the client (which becomes a server while processing
this "response").

In the servlet world however, as Stefano noted, this doesn't make much
sense.

Cheers,
Ovidiu

--