cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Releases
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:56:39 GMT
Using an alpha version means acception a risk in using this software.
It should be absolutely clear to everyone that an alpha version might be
a) not complete
b) not stable
c) may look absolutely different in the final release
d) ...add your favorite here...

Of course, in most cases an alpha version in open source projects can be
compared to beta versions in commercial development. (This is of course
neither true for *all* open source projects nor for *all* commercial
development.)

The main advantage in releasing alhpa versions for us is to make changes
available for others very early and to get more feedback. This feedback
can either be missing documentation, changes in features, enhancements etc.,
but also - and I consider this very important - bug fixes.
Because, if you are interested in the latest version, you have the
chance to get the alpha release, detect and then fix the bugs and
contribute to the project.
And by releasing an alpha version the pressure on the community increases
to make a final release sometime in the near future ;)

Carsten