cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Morrison, John" <John.Morri...@uk.experian.com>
Subject RE: Current CVS HEAD broken!
Date Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:07:47 GMT
> From: Ivan Mikushin [mailto:ivan@openmechanics.net]
> Hi John!

:)

> On Friday, November 29, 2002 17:01, Morrison, John wrote:
> > > From: Ivan Mikushin [mailto:ivan@openmechanics.net]
> > >
> > > BTW, in the docs it says one should update his own local copy
> > > from the CVS
> > > with <code>cvs -z3 update -d -P</code> which generates an
> > > error. The docs
> > > MUST be updated with the correct command which (I think) is
> > > <code>
> > > cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic -z3
> > > update -d -P
> > > </code>
> >
> > No, once you've done a checkout, cvs references
> > <project>/CVS/Root
> >
> > for the :pserver:... information unless you override it
> with the first
> > -d.
>
> Here's what I get from cvs -z3 update -d -P:
> cvs update: in directory .:
> cvs update: ignoring CVS/Root because it specifies a
> non-existent repository
> /home/cvs
> cvs update: No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
> cvs [update aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.
>
> Maybe this is because I never did the checkout: just
> downloaded the CVS
> snapshot and then updated it?

I don't know whether the snapshot includes the ./CVS directories.  If it
doesn't, then you will need the first -d.  Personally, I think if you intend
to do a cvs update you ought to do a proper cvs co first :)

Oh, also, you need to do the update *within* the directory you checked
out.

> > > Sorry for having disturbed you, the MIGHTY COCOONERS with
> > > such a little bug :)
> >
> > Huh?  Is this a joke or are you taking the micky?
>
> :)
> I don't know what "to take a micky" is, but sometimes there
> is no reply, even
> when I'm talking about serious things. Though, when I'm
> persistent and doing
> it in creative ways I receive the response (like above (of
> course, it's a
> joke, <joke>should have marked it up as was recommended by
> someone a while
> before in this list</joke> :))

If you don't get a reply it's probably for one of these reasons;
1) you are asking on the wrong list
2) you are asking the obvious
3) nobody knows.

Don't take it seriously if you don't get an answer is my advice.

> > > Expect more soon: there is a major classloading issue which
> > > prevents people to
> > > put the cocoon libs (pretty *much* of stuff, I'd say)
> into the shared
> > > directory for all webapps and only put their own stuff into
> > > their webapps'
> > > WEB-INF/classes and WEB-INF/lib
> >
> > True, if this is the case, it probably ought to be fixed.
>
> I'm trying to solve it now, working out a patch. But if I'm
> stuck I'll beg for
> help 'cause *this* is a problem that stops my Cocoon 2.1
> hosting project.

Excellent.  Thanks.

J.

of this email.