cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject caching in pipelines
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:16:14 GMT
Hi All,

(Sorry if this arrives twice, I sent it first using an unsubscribed
email address)

I find the most difficult part of Cocoon to understand ATM (apart from
Avalon ;) is Caching.

My 2.1-dev site currently has pages that might CInclude 4 or 5 separate
internal pipelines. Some cacheable, some not (SQL and Lucene).

It's far too slow, I am trying to work out why, and specifically how
any caching might be working.

Does the CachingCIncludeTransformer cache at the level of the PipeLine,
or at the level of the individual CInclude tags within the document?

Should CInclude be able to cache internal pipelines it calls, if they
are made up exclusively of cacheable components? Because it is
difficult to see that this is actually happening. Running the Profiler
on these internal pipelines appears to show that they are executing
every time I hit the same page, taking a similar duration each time
they are hit,

The non-caching CIncludeTransformer actually seems marginally quicker.

=:-{eek} what's happening?

I am very confused about the different caching directives, and the
effect they have on pipelines.

Can anyone point me to documentation on this stuff?

In the 'Profiling' sample, the sitemap has:

	<map:pipeline type="caching">

		this is only in the profiler sitemap is it a typo?
		it is similar to the other profiler @types.

What is this meant for?
What effect does it have on pipelines (<map:match/>s) that contain
non-caching components?
Should it be used?

In the two files:

	/xml-cocoon2/src/webapp/WEB-INF/entities/sitemap-v04.dtd
	/xml-cocoon2/src/webapp/WEB-INF/entities/sitemap-v05.rng

There is reference to :

	<autoCachingPoint>on|off</autoCachingPoint> element.

What is this all about?

Thanks for any help!

regards Jeremy