cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: [important proposal] Cocoon as official Apache project
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:13:17 GMT
"Steven Noels" <stevenn@outerthought.org> wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> Daedalus and Icarus are located in San Francisco, and Proxy-Pass is (IMVHO),
>> a quite silly idea... Not only we need bandwidth to _deliver_ pages, we also
>> need bandwidth to _retrieve_ the pages...
>
> Agree, but it would be a nice solution to distribute the load,
> especially for not-so-dynamic content. I was thinking of the combination
> of mod_proxy together with mod_cache anyhow. I'll be testing this
> somewhere next week on a private server.
>
> Given this setup, the Cocoon community has the ability to showcase its
> technology while still benefiting from the kind bandwidth donation of
> Collab/Sun. I know it sounds like piggybacking, but it would provide us
> with a nice balance of being able to do our own thing, possibly
> attracting other co-sponsors, until we are able to provide both CPU
> cycles and bandwidth ourselves.

Can't you just redirect? I mean... If you have to showcase static content
(that's where mod_cache could help), you can generate it offline, and put it
up on daedalus as static HTML files, and forget about it...

If you're generating dynamic content, mod_cache wouldn't help (as it's
dynamic), and it would only make things harder...

(what's "not-so-dynamic content, btw?)

Or am I _waaay_ off the hook here?

    Pier