cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Mods to CocoonLucene
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:05:12 GMT

On Friday, Nov 15, 2002, at 14:12 Europe/London, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am making some modifications to the way Lucene works with Cocoon,
>> and am wondering if you lot think these modifications are suitable to
>> add to the 2.1 CVS.
>>

>> 1.) Allow the 'query' to be set on the SearchGenerator from the
>> Sitemap. (Currently, it only reads the query directly from the
>> request, setting via the sitemap overides this)
>>
>>     WHY?: because you can do lots of funky things like modify the
>> query on the fly by manipulating sitemap params directly or via an
>> Action. This is useful for things like security (not allowing certain
>> docs to become hits to certain users), partitioning (searches of only
>> part of a site), search wizards (helping to build complex searches)
>> etc.
>

> Ok

good

>> 2.) Modified LuceneIndexContentHandler to add (Stored, Untokenised,
>> Unindexed) 'title' fields to the index, made from
>

> Configurable (and default is
>
>> <title/>
>

> )

I would love to make this configurable, but do not know how.
Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

>> tags in the content.
>>
>>     WHY? So that you get the title(s) of your documents with the
>> search hits!
>>
>> Merits:
>>
>>     mod 1 has no impact on anyone using Lucene as it is today, as the
>> old mode of operation is not effected.
>>
>>     mod 2 _does_ have an impact on the way Lucene works, if you have
>> lots of <title> tags in your document, you will get all of them
>> displayed in your hits. If there are too many for your taste, you
>> would need to pre-filter your content, using a stylesheet in the
>> 'content-view' to simplify your docs before they get indexed.
>>
>>     IMHO, this is a good thing to do anyway!!
>>

>> thanks for any input ......
>>
>> The next modification I am planning is to allow the re-indexing of
>> single documents .....
>

> Isn't it already possible by using "update index"?

While playing with Lucene, I find no time difference between 'create'
and 'update'.

I believe update index still uses the crawler to get the content,
meaning that a well-linked site will end up getting totally reindexed.

> Vadim

Thanks for your feedback

regards Jeremy