cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] board resolution version 1.1
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:28:28 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

>Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
><snip/>
>  
>
>>I would just like to disagree with the statement in another email that
>>Stefano should not be elected because he is not an active commiter.
>>    
>>
>
>Please do not twist my words Ivelin. I did not say that
>Stefano should not be elected.
>
>I pointed out that the sudden (without any discussion) concept,
>that PMC members be active committers, is flawed and needs
>careful consideration.
>
>What i was pointing out, is that Stefano (and others) will need
>to be removed from the "active committers" list in who.xml
>and then that breaks the notion that "PMC membership" equates
>to being an active committer.
>
>We cannot have one rule for some people and a different rule
>for others.
>
>  
>
>>The rule of "PMC of active commiters" is valid,
>>    
>>
>
>That is not yet decided. I, for one, am not yet happy with
>what constitutes Cocoon PMC membership.
>
>  
>
>>however Stefano is a vital exception.
>>The project has grown big enough to warrent a full-time
>>administrative management position.
>>I would consider it a mistake if Stefano gets his hands on
>>coding too often from here on.
>>    
>>
>
>I disagree. The PMC will need to be tweaking certain
>documentation in CVS. It does not take much to remain
>an active committer ... one change every three months.
>
>  
>
>>His job of chair is to protect the interests of the project;
>>promote it in the industry;
>>work with evangelists (like Matthew) and participate in
>>strategic architectural discussions.
>>    
>>
>
>I agree, the job of chair has many aspects. However, to put
>flaws in the rules will lead to trouble later on. When we
>need to introduce new people to PMC membership and retire
>old ones, we need a consistent definition of "PMC membership".
>  
>

I agree with the fact that there are many kind of productions other than 
code than can go into the CVS, even for PR people and the PMC chair, 
which may be more concerned by community management and high-level 
architecture.

So the solution seems to me dead simple : let's keep this "active 
committer" criterion, and let committers motivated by being part of the 
PMC maintain their active committer status. And there should be no 
exception for Stefano, even if we all agree on his particular role in 
this project.

One commit every 3 months shouldn't be so hard to achieve for motivated 
people...

Sylvain

-- 
Sylvain Wallez                                  Anyware Technologies
http://www.apache.org/~sylvain           http://www.anyware-tech.com
{ XML, Java, Cocoon, OpenSource }*{ Training, Consulting, Projects }



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cocoon-dev-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org
For additional commands, email: cocoon-dev-help@xml.apache.org


Mime
View raw message