cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Morphos in Cocoon
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:01:26 GMT

Dear all,

   I'm writing you to propose that project _Morphos_ be moved inside of
the Cocoon project.

/Ok, but what is it?/

I've recieved requests to:

   - use the POI Serializer stuff outside of Cocoon
   - use other "blocks" outside of Cocoon
   - have a simple embedabble transformation chain system
   - have it not only use SAX

Since Cocoon has a what looks like steep learning curve just to do a
couple of transformations, I've decided, together with other developers,
to start a new effort called _Morphos_ in Jakarta Commons Sandbox.

You can read the original /stale/ proposal here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/morphos/ORIGINAL-PROPOSAL.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

and view the CVS here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/morphos/

A simple document on usage howto:
http://metamorphosis.krysalis.org/cgi-bin/mmorphosiswiki.pl?MorpherSpecification

Musings about a FOP Morpher:
http://metamorphosis.krysalis.org/cgi-bin/mmorphosiswiki.pl?FopMorpher

All other developers of the original proposal, for different reasons,
didn't actively partecipate, but there have been very good contributions
from the community as discussions and code. Now the momentum there has
vanished, but the requests from users keep increasing, and, most of all,
Andy is bugging me to get it going ;-)

Since Andy is now (almost) a Cocoon developer, I reckon we can move it
here for him also to partecipate and to make it possible for Morphos to
use the blocks out of the box, as soon as they are ready and during
development.

       Morphos = A simple COB-based transformation package

Morphos will be the forefront of the new Block design and allow
serialization and generation to/from binary formats to happen in an easy
and pluggable manner.

Down to earth: a simple pipeline that can use blocks, is easily usable
in programs and from the commandline, and supports also binary
transformations.

Comments and suggestions are very welcome as always :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -