cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Using pipeline as sitemap components (long)
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:18:37 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Christian Haul wrote:
>
>> A last thought: would it be necessary to have those pipelines match a
>> pattern or would it be sufficiant to have them names?
>

> After reading it second time... And seems that Christian also has
> concern about syntax... There are two ways to understand word
> "pipeline" and Sylvain's proposal.

Vadim, you point out exactly the misunderstanding in which Christian and
Gianugo seem to have fallen. My proposal is the first one below : "A la
Cocoon source". The "src" attribute is effectively the URI handled by a
sitemap, just as the one we use for the "cocoon:" protocol.

The second way ("A la Text Substitution") is based on the use in the
names of <map:pipeline>, which doesn't currently exist. IMO, the
decomposition of a sitemap in pipelines is an internal matter, and
should not used to define the public contract of a sitemap or block.

>    First Way: A-la Cocoon Source
>    --------------------------------

<snip/>

>    Second Way: A-la Text Substitution

<snip/>

> Results are the same, but please note the differences.
>
> Implementation via the first way is better named as "cocoon"-type
> components, second way can be named as "pipeline"-type components.

Good point. Using "cocoon" as the component type certainly helps to
understand that the "src" is a sitemap URI. We shall use it from now on.

Sylvain