cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Flow wishlist :)
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:33:29 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

><snip/>
>

>>We must do *everything* possible to prevent abuse of the flowscript
>>layer. In fact, at the Cocoon BOF, several people expressed this concern
>>of seeing script kiddies coming from the flash world abusing the
>>flowscript and making the whole thing unmaintainable.
>>

>that's also one of my fears...

+1

>>>Ideally, with business logic moved to the flow controller, one would only
>>>need to use selectors after a generator has been set.
>>>

>>Yes.
>>

>selectors? what for?
>
><snip/>

-1 business logic
+1 flow logic

I think one of the reasons I got so uptight about flow was the misuse of
the term business logic.  Business logic is the big stuff you do
backended just before it goes to the database.  Such as debiting a
customer's account and crediting sales.  Workflow logic is still
presentation logic.  Such as "Gee he just pushed 'preview' on the
'design card for my girlfriend' page, lets make sure he didn't leave and
fields blank and if he did, send him back with an error, otherwise send
him to the preview greeting page". . Thats not business logic.

Sticking business logic (like connection to EIS systems and crediting
and debiting accounts should not be done in flow).  Perhaps pushing the
FLOW to go to things that DO that should, but not that actual stuff...

>why should they have to be in sync? it might be a totally different
>flow.. If we could read the flowscript from an internal pipeline we
>would be set.
>
> <map:flow language="JavaScript">
>   <map:script src="cocoon://something/prefs.js"/>
> </map:flow>

Yes this is an absolute must.  sticking it all in a monolitic sitemap is
setting back CS by about 30 years.  There is nothing wrong with includes
so long as they're clear.  The above tells me where to find the JS.  I
think however it might be best constrained to the sitemap.  Meaning a JS
shouldn't be able to include others.  (That does introduce a limitation
but makes life more readible)..  But I'm not sure on this...

-Andy