cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon Real-Life Events
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:00:42 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>  > Forth, the ASF just established a fund-raising commitee. I talked
>  > with the ASF conference committee
          ^
        part of

In fact, I was going to talk to Ken about that today but I didn't have
time. Sorry for not having being more precise about this.

>  > and they say that it's entirely
>  > possible that Apache partecipates officially in the production of
>  > project-related real-life events. Whether this means *money* is yet
>  > to be estimated, also depending on the money raised by the
>  > fund-raising commitee. Anyway, FYI.
>
> I remember asking about potential sponsorship of the ASF for the
> GetTogether. It was just an <aside/> in a mail to Brian (attached) cc-ed
> on the reorg list.
>
> Related to that, I sent a mail regarding EurApacheCon to Ken some time
> ago (attached too, sorry about the tone of that message).
>
> What I'm trying to say is that this is a good idea. OTOH, I'm assured
> that we should be very careful about mixed interests:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=103780260804583&w=2
>
> Ken: please don't take the hyperlinked message above as critique. It is
> just one of the remarks I got from the GetTogether attendees: they
> really like it to be a GetTogether of users & developers, rather than a
> conference where sponsors automagically acquire the right for speaking
> slots. I think an exhibition, with enough time to visit that exhibition,
> is kind-of a nice balance between people being able to showcase their
> stuff, while not 'commercially polluting' the content exchange (and we
> made some errors against it during this first GetTogether ourselves).
>
> But I'll quit ranting for now ;-)

Sally and I specifically discussed potential ways that the ASF could be
involved in project-specific events, hopefully being able to delegate as
much as possible to others project-specific volunteers.

How this could be accomplished and the role on the foundation
(expecially on the economical side) is yet to be estimated.

Still, it was impressive how a cocoon-specific event auto-produced
managed to gather around 100 people. I think it's worth considering as a
different model for real-life events associated to the ASF.