cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Using pipeline as sitemap components (long)
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:04:42 GMT
> This document defines this concept of "pipeline service", which, as we
> will see, consists in using pipelines as sitemap components (generator,
> transformer and serializer). It is separated from the blocks design
> document since pipeline services can be used without blocks, even if
> they will be mostly useful in that context.

Interesting read, Sylvain (BTW: you should have told us that some guys
from your company were at Comdex :-) We met them yesterday at the Cocoon
BOF and I would have been most interested to meet them there... anyway,
kudos for the great job of putting Cocoon in such a small device,
definitely impressing).

I have a some problems, though, with the whole concept. First of all I
hear FS bells all around, but I still have to focus more on the topic.
The secon problem is about extending pipeline syntax in such a radical
way: I think that this deserves a lot of thoughts about what might come
out from this change.

The third and last one has to do with the specific syntax. What you are
labeling as a type="pipeline" attribute is actually the result of a
matcher (i.e. a "<map:match src="whatever">" tag). This might really be
confusing. But then again I can't think of a name that might really make
sense: using <map:transform match="whatever"> is even worse, so I don't
really see a solution here.

What I see here is actually expressing in an explicit way the fact that
when you are calling a resource via the cocoon protocol the serializer
is infact ignored and the two pipelines are infact somehow "merged"...
but I need to have more use scenarios where extending this might turn
out useful without falling into FS. Can you shed some more light on
that, with special regard to the whole block concept?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino