cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon GetTogehter in Ghent
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:26:53 GMT
Matthew Langham wrote:

> Can we get something set up for discussing 2003? I would like to get a
> discussion going while the impressions are still fresh!

People _seriously_considering_to_actually_work_together_with_me_ on the
next edition, please subscribe yourself using
party-subscribe@lists.cocoondev.org (listname inspired by the
joining and doing anything else than lurking comes with a price...:

<rant>I know "seriously considering to actually work together with me"
sounds quite heavy but to be honest, I just experienced the amount of
work involved setting up this kind of semi-professional, but budget-wise
still manageable event, and I'd rather like fewer people who are really
willing to help out but then also are prepared to donate actual time to
it (inside normal working hours), rather than lots of volunteers for
discussion, ranting and whatelse, but no actual work being carried out.

Pretty negative, I know, but that's the experience from also being
steering member of the xmlbelux user group, which conference &
exhibition tomorrow are attracting only half as many people as our
gettogether, even though there was a much bigger working budget. This is
partly because of quite a few of us steering members who didn't have
real bandwidth when the time was there for doing things.

Matthew and I did some talking (too little) yesterday, and at least the
two of us -who might appear as having a vested commercial interest in
this kind of events-, are pretty much convinced that getting bigger
would be nice, but that we weren't willing to give up the formula and
authenticity of this event for that matter. Hence remaining a free event
if at all possible, hence having sponsors to carry the weight of the
budget, but still not being prepared for making a commercial event out
of it (and I regard ApacheCon as being a commercial event for that
matter - with sponsor speaking slots etc etc).</rant>

Hope this establishes a good working spirit for next year's event.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org